This month we sit down for a Q&A with crochet and knitting expert Leonie Morgan, author of 100 Colorful Ripple Stitches to Crochet. Inspired at an early age by her mother’s granny blanket, Leonie taught herself how to knit and crochet from various books and hand-me-down knowledge.
1. What’s your craft? I crochet and knit – all the time.
2. What project would you consider an all-time best? My Book Blanket is my all-time-best. I used all the squares designed for my first book and joined them together. It’s really warm, cosy and full of color.
3. What project would you consider an all-time worst? One of the first crochet things I made was a cropped cardigan. I missed some of the stitches out and didn’t block. I knew it wasn’t going to turn out grand but carried on regardless and wore it around the house feeling smug. As the day wore on, the arms got longer, and longer, and longer. It went in the unravel pile that evening.
4. What tool or material could you not live without? Wool. If there was a wool drought I’d have to unravel sweaters.
5. What’s your hidden talent? Super hearing.
100 Colorful Ripple Stitches to Crochet is a wonderfully illustrated and easy-to-use guide to making and using ripple stitches in delightful and inspiring ways. With 75 original stitch designs to choose from there is plenty here to appeal to every crocheter—blankets, accessories, and more! Each design has a clear written pattern, an easy-to-follow chart, and a color variation to try out. The designs range from simple to more advanced patterns and also include ripple stitches worked in the round for unusual and eye-catching projects. It even includes five great projects as inspiration for how some of the designs could go together!
Check out our July and August titles: